If you haven’t been stuck under a rock for the last 48 hours then you no doubt know who Renee Gork is. If you don’t…. Google her. You wouldn’t be the first.
BRIEF OVERVIEW: It all started during Bobby Petrino’s press conference following practice on Saturday.
After the video surfaced Saturday afternoon, groups of Arkansas fans started raising hell on message boards, facebook, and twitter. Over time it comes out that she had tweeted during practice (not allowed) that she would rather be covering a Florida Practice. After the incident with Petrino, the Athletic Department recommended that she not attend Monday’s practice to allow things to cool down.
At aprox 10:00 am Monday morning Renee tweeted…
“Was hoping to publicly apologize to coach Petrino and UA fans on the show today, but I won’t get that chance now … I’ve been fired.”
Renee’s been pretty busy today. She’s appeared on a few national radio shows including The Stephen A. Smith Show and The Dan Patrick Show. There have also been stories on many major sports and news sites.
A few examples:
- Renee Gork FIRED: Florida Hat Costs Arkansas Radio Personality Her Job (Huffington Post)
- Ark. Radio Host Renee Gork Fired over Gators Hat (CBS News – Sports)
- Fired reporter tells her side of the story – SEC Blog (ESPN)
- Arkansas and Bobby Petrino Call Hogs On Radio Reporter Renee Gork (FanHouse – AOL)
- Reporter Renee Gork Fired in Rival Team Cap Flap (ABC News)
- Arkansas Radio Personality Fired Over Headgear (NPR)
- Wearing Florida hat to press conference gets Arkansas radio host (USA Today)
As of this afternoon, Renee Gork was the 4th most searched item of the day on Google.
Just before 5:00 CST the Arkansas Athletic Department released a statement.
“The University of Arkansas has no connection to The Hog Sports Radio and has no direct or indirect control over the station’s management or personnel decisions. University of Arkansas athletic department personnel did communicate to the reporter that her attendance at Monday’s practice was not recommended to allow additional time to pass. The University wishes to be very clear that it did not request any employment action with regard to the reporter.”
UPDATE: Someone at TBS has a sense of humor… the Seinfeld episode “The Letter“, which has been referenced many times on national blogs covering this story, aired tonight.
UPDATE: LoL Poll – Delaware has our back…